Drugs and Alcohol

From casual use of marijuana to the heroin and opioid epidemic and prescription drug abuse, parents have a lot to worry about. Substance abuse can alter your child’s personality and brain chemistry and can derail their future. You might be wondering: How do I know if my child is using drugs? How do I talk to my teen about heroin? How can I help my child overcome prescription drug abuse?

These videos offer parental support and information on topics such as how to recognize the signs of substance abuse, how to handle heroin or opioid use, how to keep your child from abusing prescription drugs, what to say to your child who thinks marijuana is “no big deal”, and other ways in which you can help your child grow up with a healthy attitude toward drugs and alcohol.

My Child Needs Professional Help for Substance Abuse. What are the Options?

Beth Sack
Manager of Addiction Services
Linden Oaks Hospital
852 West Street
Naperville, IL 60540

Parents can find it overwhelming when trying to find professional help for their family member. I will give a brief description of the most common treatment options available.
1- Outpatient therapy is the least restrictive level of care, it usually involves meeting with a therapist weekly or bi-weekly.
2- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) is the next level of care- This level of care involves 9-15 hours of treatment per week. Most of this time is spent in groups, with 1-2 individual sessions per week.
3- Partial Hospitalization (PHP) is the next level- This level of care is 6-8 hours per day, Monday – Friday. Tutoring and school work is provided during this time to keep up with homework.
4- Acute Inpatient Stabilization is a fairly short inpatient stay, usually 5-7 days. Most people are admitted to this level of care when they are detoxing from a substance or when they are suicidal.
5- Residential- On average residential is a 28-30 day program. Your family member would remain at the facility 24/7 for that period of time. Treatment consists of groups, individual and family counseling.